Interior Painting Preparation Checklist
With any painting job, preparation is one of the most important tasks. Whether you are hiring a professional painter to do the prep work or you are going to do some or all of the interior paint preparation yourself, here are the key steps of interior painting preparation:
- Identify any problem areas. Check the walls, ceiling, floors and around the windows and doors to make sure you don't have any leakage or major mould problems that will need fixing before you are able to paint. Some areas might require extra coats of paint or more detailed surface preparation to get the desired colour or surface results.
- Clear the walls. Take down pictures, wallhangings and curtains. If you are doing the work yourself, repair any holes or cracks. If working with a professional painter, make note of any areas that will need particular attention when surface preparation begins.
- Remove furniture and rugs. The more space you or your painter has to work in the easier and quicker the patching and painting will be. Remove and delicate or breakable items from the room. Move large furniture items into the centre of the room and cover with drop cloths, plastic sheeting or old bed sheets.
- Vacuum. Now that the furniture is away from the walls, vacuum the area so that all dirt or dust is removed from the area. Dust or dirt can prevent proper application of paint or stains.
- Remove fixtures. Remove door knobs, latches, locks on doors and window frames, curtain rails and picture hooks. Light fixtures and electrical switches can be dismantled or taped.
- Tape. Anything that cannot be moved will need to be taped or masked. Windows, heaters, air conditioners and electrical switches. To protect carpets and flooring, cloth or plastic drop cloths should be taped around edges.
- Clean and repair. All surfaces that are to be painted will need to be washed down to remove dirt, dust, grease or film. Paint does not cover cracks or holes so you or the painter will need to repair any surfaces so that they are smooth prior to applying primer or paint.
We have a pre-qualified network of Painting Providers all across the country.Get 3 FREE Quotes From Painting Experts Now!